Wednesday 13 March 2013

Creating Electrical Circuits

Over the past few days, Emily has been reading a book called 'Electricity Makes Things Work'.  She showed a lot of determination in reading a scientific text and today we borrowed the electrical gear from LH3 and had a go at marking circuits ourselves.  We had to use diagrams to find the different pieces we needed and we had to follow picture diagrams to put our circuit together.  Then we experimented with making our own circuits and seeing what worked, and what didn't.
Today I learnt that electricity goes in a direction, because when I put the battery in the  wrong way, it didn't work.  When my circuit got really big it went down (the volts on the volt meter) and the light stopped working because it didn't have enough power.  When I made a little circuit, it went bigger (the measurement on the volt meter) and the light was bright.  The red bulb was brighter than the yellow bulb and the green one didn't work at all.  I used a switch to turn the light on and off.  It worked when I pressed down on the switch because it wasn't connected together, until I pressed it, and then it was and the light worked.  When the light is going, it is a closed circuit and when the light is not going, it is a open circuit.   It was exciting making circuits because I could find out about things.   By Emily 



No comments:

Post a Comment